Remote Learning and Collaborating Resources for Students
The IT Division delivers and ITAC supports a variety of services to connect you with classmates, faculty, and staff, so teaching and learning will be uninterrupted.
See the latest TXST Statements and Resources on COVID-19.
NOTE: Texas State and IBM have partnered to allow Students to install SPSS Statistics onto personal computers.
Use these devices and services while off-campus:
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Web browser and system requirements for Canvas, Zoom, and Microsoft 365 (including Teams)
- NOTE: Some academic departments may require software and apps specific to its discipline. Depending on the software, your computer may need to have more stringent requirements than those listed above.
- Webcam with microphone
- Secure Internet connection
- Minimum bandwidth is 600 kbps (up/down) and recommended is 1.5 mbps (up/down). Go to speedtest.net to check your speed.
- Broadband minimum for mobile devices is 3G or 4G/LTE.
- Helpful tips to improve your internet
- Smartphone, tablet, or telephone (for Duo)
- Also see TXST discounts on iPads and consider a cellular plan for your iPad.
Get setup with these tools and services:
- Update your laptop or desktop to the latest operating system.
- Install and run anti-virus software for Windows and Mac.
- Install Microsoft 365.
- Install Teams.
- Store files in OneDrive.
- Install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (PDFs).
- Install SPSS Statistics for Students.
- Install the Zoom desktop and mobile apps.
- Install the Texas State Mobile app.
- Install the Canvas Student app.
- Install and setup the Duo Mobile app.
- Sign up for TXST Alerts.
- Also see our software catalog.
Being prepared ahead of time will help you flawlessly transition from the physical classroom to online classes. Now, you're ready to learn from virtually anywhere!
- Collaborate with classmates and instructors using these services:
- Work in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint in real time with others via OneDrive or SharePoint.
- Send and receive email via Outlook for Windows or Mac.
- Send and receive chat messages via Teams.
- Learn to use a variety of software and tools with LinkedIn Learning.
- Use additional IT software and services available to TXST Students.
- Keep up with University Libraries remote resources and library access.
- Watch our Getting Started with Zoom recorded session.
- Learn how Zoom is supporting teaching and learning during COVID-19.