Minimum Hardware Specifications for University Computers
All University computers must meet the minimum system requirements below in order to be re-imaged and/or repaired by ITAC:
- All Android devices will not meet ITAC's minimum system requirements for re-imaging and/or repair. ITAC will not take responsibility for providing hardware or software support for any Android devices.
- If a department or a member of a department needs one or more tablets for their use, ITAC recommends that a supported Microsoft Surface device, Windows - Flexible Use Laptop/Convertible Tablet device or Apple iPad tablet be purchased instead of an Android device. Please refer to the Apple iPad Tablets & Microsoft Surface Devices sections below for more information regarding these options. For the Windows - Flexible Use Laptop/Convertible Tablet device, please refer to the ITAC Standard Windows Laptops web page.
- All Apple iPad tablets will not meet the minimum system requirements for installing any version of Mac OS X. Provided that there are no hardware problems, ITAC should be able to perform a Factory Restore of iOS on all Apple iPad tablets.
- If ITAC is not able to log into the Apple iPad tablet, then it will not be possible to recover the customer's files.
- All Apple iPad tablets can not be repaired by ITAC. If these tablets are still under warranty, Apple will replace the tablet. Apple will not repair the damaged tablet & return it to ITAC.
- Before a Apple iPad tablet is sent in for replacement, ITAC must verify that the tablet has been encrypted per UPPS 04.01.11. If the Apple iPad tablet has not been encrypted, either the customer will need to encrypt the tablet or ITAC will attempt to encrypt the tablet before it can be returned to Apple for a replacement tablet.
- If the Apple iPad tablet can not be encrypted due to any failure (hardware, software or both), the department requesting that the tablet be replaced under Apple warranty must obtain approval from the Information Security Office before ITAC can proceed with the warranty replacement process.
- All warranty replacements for Apple iPad tablets must be facilitated by ITAC.
- Jamf Pro can be installed on Apple iPad tablets & the devices can be managed by Jamf Pro & Apple School Manager.
- If the customer wishes to have Jamf Pro installed, there is an additional cost of $9 per license per year for this software & the customer will need to submit the Apple Mobile Device Management License Purchase Request form to begin the purchasing process.
- When Jamf Pro has been installed & the iPad has been added to Apple School Manager, Apps from the Mac App Store that do not cost extra can be deployed to the Apple iPad tablet. If the customer wishes to have Apps from the Mac App Store deployed to the iPad that cost extra, then the customer must submit a Software License Purchase Request form & the request will need to be reviewed by the IT Business Office & Information Security Office.
- Before ITAC can begin working on any Apple iPad tablet, Find My Mac must be TURNED OFF.
Google Chrome Devices
- All Google Chrome devices will not meet ITAC's minimum system requirements for re-imaging and/or repair. ITAC will not take responsibility for providing hardware or software support for any Google Chrome device.
Linux & Unix OS Devices
- ITAC can only perform hardware repairs on these devices provided they meet our minimum system requirements. ITAC does not provide software support for any Linux Distribution or any version of Unix..
Beginning June 2022, ITAC will begin changing over Texas State University Windows computers from Windows 10 to Windows 11. We expect that by May 2023 that all newly purchased computers will be running the Windows 11 Texas State University image.
ITAC will still support Windows 10 & the Windows 10 Texas State image will be available until Microsoft ends the support for Windows 10. At this time, the current end of support date for Windows 10 is October 14, 2025. Microsoft determines this date & it is subject to change at any time.
All Windows 10 computers must meet the minimum hardware requirements listed below to be re-imaged and/or repaired by ITAC.
All Windows 11 computers must meet the minimum hardware requirements listed below to be re-imaged and/or repaired by ITAC.
These requirements are subject to change & are based on the minimum hardware requirements determined by Microsoft.
PLEASE NOTE FOR ALL UNIVERSITY COMPUTERS: At this time, ITAC is only authorized to perform warranty & non-warranty hardware repairs on Apple, Dell, HP & Lenovo computers & warranty replacements on Microsoft Surface devices & Apple iPad tablets. ITAC is not authorized to perform warranty & non-warranty hardware repairs on computers from any other manufacturer & custom built computers.