How to Activate your NetID
- Open Online Toolkit.
- Click Activate your NetID.
- Select an Identifier Type (NetID / Texas State ID or SSN / ITIN).
EXAMPLE: NetID (e.g., zzz99), Texas State ID (e.g., A12345678), SSN, or ITIN.
- Enter your identifier and date of birth in the appropriate boxes.
- Enter the code shown in the image on the screen.
- Click Next.
- Enter your last name, social security number, and personal email address in the appropriate boxes.
- Click Validate.
NOTE: The system will send a one-time-use link to your personal email address.
CAUTION: Depending on your personal email service, this email may take several minutes to reach your inbox. If you don’t see it within 15 minutes, look in your junk or spam folder.
- Read the email and click the link contained in the email. A new web browser window or tab opens.
- On the One-Time-Use Link Validation screen, enter your date of birth.
- Click Validate.
TIP: Your NetID will appear on the screen. Write it down and keep it handy for future use.
- Now, you'll be directed to enroll in Duo MFA.
NOTE: Make sure that the device you enroll in Duo MFA is one you have access to regularly. You'll be using this device to accept push notifications from Duo to confirm your identity on the network. If you ever receive a push notification you did not authorize, do not accept the request and please report it.
NOTE: Make sure to allow Duo to send you notifications if you are asked.
- Follow the prompts as Duo walks you through the enrollment process.
- Select a device to enroll. Make sure it's a device you'll have access to regularly.
- Validate your phone number on that device.
- You should be automatically redirected to download the Duo Mobile app for your mobile device.
- Once you have installed the Duo Mobile app on your device, you'll be given the option to enroll another device into Duo MFA as a backup.
NOTE: You can always return to this option later in your account. Additionally, you may purchase alternative, non-cellular devices (token-generating key fobs) that support Duo multi-factor authentication for your NetID at the ITAC service desk on the first floor of the Alkek library.
- Your Duo MFA account setup is not complete. Click "Log in with Duo" to finish enrolling.
- You should receive your first Duo push notification. You're almost done!
NOTE: Go to the Duo Enrollment support page if you need more information about managing and configuring your Duo account. Some of these instructions are repeated on the Duo Enrollment support page.
- Check the "I agree to comply with the information security, appropriate use, and other policies of Texas State University" checkbox.
- Enter and re-enter a password for your NetID.
NOTE: Consider creating a passphrase that is at least 15 characters long. See passphrase best practices.
- Click Submit.
NOTE: Be sure to keep your NetID and password handy! You will use it to log into several Texas State online services.